Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blood Orange Marmalade


It's always been a goal of mine to try my hand at jarring. I'm not sure why, but I find there's something so charming about the process. The idea of spending an afternoon slicing up fresh seasonal fruit, lingering over the stove as the mixture simmers, and quietly enjoying it on a slice of peanut butter bread with a mug of coffee seems so inviting. After spotting a recipe for blood orange marmalade recently on this blog, I knew I had found my winner...


Unfortunately, I met a little bump in the road during my marmalade process. To jar things properly, you need to run the jars through a boiling hot water bath which requires a pot of water tall enough to cover the entire jar, which I didn't have. One easy way around this would be to use shorter jars (I used pints) but on a lazy Sunday afternoon, making another trip to Michael's was not in my future. Instead, I just skipped this step and stored my jam in the fridge and finished it within the week. If you go through the proper process of jarring, your jam would last far longer (6 months or so) as long as the jar hadn't been opened.

If you're interested in doing the real thing, try this website tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment